It's almost time for our fourth annual Songs You'll Never Sing project! This year, Women's Ensemble, Topaz, & CR5 are participating!
If you're unfamiliar with the project, students choose a musical theater solo or duet that they would never get cast to sing. The most common choice is boys singing a girls duet and vice versa. Their preparation spans over two months, and they learn how to work with an accompanist, prepare the song, and perform an entire piece of music as a solo vocalist.
Each year, I bring in professional vocalists or teachers to critique and work with the students in a masterclass setting. We even use the CU voice jury forms! This experience is valuable for these young singers because they receive individual performance feedback from a professional musical and they learn the process of preparing a piece of music on their own! They keep what is written on their forms and look back at them the following year before we start this project again.
Parents are invited to this informal performance, so I hope to see you there! All performances will take place in the choir room. Also, don't fret if you don't see your students name below. I'm still working out some scheduling due to AP testing. It will be updated as soon as we work something out! The performance schedule is as follows (and is subject to change):
Tuesday 5/12 7:25-8:50 AM
1. Evie & Colby: Agony - Into the Woods
2. Auri & Emily: Agony - Into the Woods
3. Hollie: I Just Can't Wait To Be King - The Lion King
Wednesday 5/13 7:25-8:50 AM
1. Izzy Davids: Someone Else’s Skin - Catch Me If You Can
2. Faith: Luck Be A Lady - Guys & Dolls
3. Ava: I'm Changing - Dreamgirls
4. Abbey W: Solo
5. Maegan & Elise: Don't Be Cruel - All Shook Up
Wednesday 5/13 9-10:25 AM
1. Hailey & Zach: Anything You Can Do - Annie Get Your Gun
2. Bri & Brenna: Somebody's Got Your Back - Aladdin
3. Stephen: Defying Gravity - Wicked
Thursday 5/14 7:25-8:50 AM
1. Emma & Avery: Take What You Got - Kinky Boots
2. Ashley, Cassidy & Kayla: Agony - Into the Woods
3. Kenzi, Ashley, Ally: ?
4. Delaney & Taylor: I'll Cover You - Rent
5. Josh & Sam: What is this Feeling? - Wicked
Friday 5/15 7:25-8:50 AM
1. Alia & Maddie: Run & Tell That - Hairspray
2. Veve: My Eyes Adored You - Jersey Boys
3. Tiana: Gliding - Ragtime
4. Kenlie & Taylor: You're Nothing Without Me - City of Angels
5. Jade: Solo
Friday 5/15 9-10:25 AM
1. Shaelyn: Left Behind - Spring Awakening
2. Emma & Ali: Agony - Into the Woods
3. Sonia: Solo
On Monday, April 28th, our choir department had the privilege of hosting the Western Illinois University Singers under the direction of Dr. James Stegall. Dr. Stegall has worked with EHS Choir students previously at the CU Honor Reading Choir this past fall, and it was a pleasure to have him back!
The ladies in Topaz were able to participate in vocal warm-ups with the University Singers at the end of their class. I think they were surprised by the huge sound they were able to make when combined with the college students. CR5 was able to watch a wonderful performance, as well as perform for the college students! Towards the end of class, we had some of the collegiate singers join CR5 to sing "Set Me As A Seal" by Rene Clausen. Dr. Stegall worked with them on things like tone color & quality, breath support, phrasing, and resonance. The before and after was astounding! Below is a video of the final product - be sure to watch it!
Although they were only here for block 2, students from other choirs were able to peek their heads in and watch the workshop. It was awesome to see all the high-schoolers jaws drop when they first heard that college sound!
A huge thanks to Dr. Stegall and his students for spending their morning at EHS!
Tuesday, May 5:
Erie HS Choir